Making explosions

Making explosions

When I was beginning the development of my 3D Tank game, I knew pretty early on that my game needed to be able to make objects explode; what's a good tank game without explosions?

I achieved this by drawing a sphere around the explosion point.  If there are any game objects with colliders that are within the explosion sphere's radius, a directional force is applied using the position of the game object and the explosion point.

I use variables like power and upForce to customize how much force is being applied to a rigidbody and use radius to determine how big an area of effect the explosion will have.

 

In the early stages of development for Shade Shifter, we decided on going with a color-changing character for gameplay purposes.

My teammate designed three different color versions for each of the characters animations which was simple to implement at first.  But as development continued and more animations were added, programming them in became more and more of a struggle until I was unable to implement the last three animations properly as you can see in the picture.

After spending a lot of time reworking the animations and programming them to play when needed to, I learned how valuable it was to prepare for the future and think ahead when animating & programming.

 Lesson learned from animation

Lesson learned from animation

 
 Early prototype

Early prototype

As an intern at UPS, I was given the opportunity to work with a team of developers on a package handling certification program within Unity due to my experience with the game engine.  The whole idea of the game was to be a more stimulating way to get certified for package handling compared to the old program that was used.

Pictured is an early iteration of a prototype I developed as a proof of concept to show how I imagined a game would work with sorting packages.  The tutorial has colored packages that employees would need to match up with the same colored belts but for certification, they would need to memorize which zipcodes are assigned to what color and put them on the colored belts accordingly.

At the end of development, my concept was utilized in the final product after being redesigned by artists and the UI/UX team.